Dairy Free–Plant Based–Vegan
Why is store bought vegan ice cream so expensive? I mean, seriously, have you looked in the freezer aisle lately? Dairy ice cream is always on sale…but, stroll down the row to the “alternative” ice creams and it is a totally different story. You’ll find every variety, too. There’s almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk–even hemp milk ice creams. Sorbets, too–those count as a non-dairy variety as well.
Looking at the nutrition content of some of these alternative ice creams can really blow you away too. Don’t think for a minute that because they are dairy free that they are also calorie free. So, save your money and follow me into the kitchen as I show you how to make a “knock your socks off” frozen treat that will fool even the biggest ice cream connoisseur.
In a previous post, I did make a basic nice cream. This time I decided to add some extra flavor and make a separate cookie dough mix-in.OMG-It is soooo good!
To make the cookie dough (which happens to be a delicious snack on its own) you’ll need just a few ingredients. I have found that the Arbonne Vanilla Protein Shake Mix gives the best flavor. It smells like cake batter when you open the bag and it is gluten free and non-GMO plant protein.
Banana nice cream is a completely guilt free treat. You are basically just eating some frozen banana and a little bit of plant milk. It’s satifying and refreshing–anytime of year!
Cookie Dough Nice Cream
For the Cookie Dough
- 2 scoops of Arbonne Vanilla Protein Powder (this tastes the best, in my opinion)
- 2 T. unsweetened, plain plant milk of choice (can be soy, almond, oat)
- 2 T. natural nut butter (I used almond butter) Do not use nut butter that has added oil or sugar
- Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (maybe a couple tablespoons)
For the Nice Cream
- 3-4 Bananas that have been frozen into small pieces (I usually keep a bag of frozen bananas on hand)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain plant milk of choice
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 T. Trader Joe’s Peanut butter powder (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the protein powder, milk and nut butter and combine well. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Take a small amount of the mixture and form small balls. Probably about a teaspoon size. When you’ve rolled them all, place them in the freezer to firm up while you make the nice cream.
- In a high speed blender or a food processor, add your frozen bananas, milk, vanilla and peanut butter powder (if using) and blend until you have a smooth, creamy texture. There shouldn’t be any frozen banana chunks.
- Remove to a bowl and gently fold in your cookie dough bites. You can serve immediately (it will be more like soft-serve) or store in a sealed container in the freezer. If you leave it in freezer for a long time, let it sit out to soften up before serving.
Nice cream is so versatile. You can really add anything you like to the base ingredients. I have tried adding cocoa powder and mint flavoring and even frozen cherries and chocolate chips. Leave me a comment and let me know how much you loved the recipe. Tag me in your pictures @heidicooksplants
See you in the kitchen soon,
I participate in the Amazon Affiliates program. If you make a purchase through the included link, I recieve a small commission, but it is at no additional cost to you. I appreciate your support in keeping my blog running!