Gluten Free—Vegan—Nut Free—Plant Based
I am constantly on the hunt for a healthy and delicious snack bar that is nutrient dense and isn’t overly sweet. I have always loved the Glo Bars from Angela Liddon’s “Oh She Glows” Cookbook. Her book was one of my first experiences with vegan cooking and I have learned a lot from her cooking style, but I find that now her bars are just too sweet for me with the brown rice syrup in her recipe.
In the last few weeks, I have played around with ingredients and I have finally come up with my own Easy No Bake Snack Bar. It is chock full of nutrient goodness—you’ve got whole grains, fiber and protein from the hemp hearts and chia seeds as well as a powerhouse of vitamins coming from the raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I sweeten these with medjool dates and just a little coconut nectar, some natural nut butter (can use peanut for a nut free version) and just a little chocolate (unsweetened).Because, let’s face it…ya gotta have some chocolate in a snack bar!
I found that the coconut nectar, because it is very very sticky, is the perfect “glue” that holds these bars together. Just a touch of water also helps. I added about a tablespoon, but you can start with a half tablespoon and see if that’s enough.
Easy No Bake Snack Bars
- 1/2 c rolled oats
- 2. 4 Thin Stackers rice cakes (Lundberg)-I used red rice/quinoa. You can also use 2 round brown rice cakes
- 8 pitted medjool dates
- 2 T. natural nut butter of choice–I used almond butter, but you can use peanut butter too!
- 1 T. Coconut nectar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 T. water
- 1/2 T. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c hemp hearts
- 1/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 T. chia seeds
- 1/4 c unsweetened cacao chips
- Place the rice cakes in a bowl of a food processor pulse to crush
- Add in the oats and cinnamon and pulse to combine
- Add the dates, coconut nectar and nut butter and process so the mixture is well combined
- Add the water to the feed tube and pulse to incorporate
- Add in the hemp hearts and blend
- Add in the remaining “add ins” seed and cacao chips and pulse to combine
- Pour the mixture into an 8 inch square pan that has been lined with parchment
- Cover with another sheet of parchment and pack down the mixture as hard as you can
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Cut into bars and enjoy!
- Keep refrigerated as they will be very fragile!
These are so delish! My No Bake Snack bars are plant based, vegan, dairy free, gluten free and nut free (optional) and the perfect addition to a lunch box or your afternoon snack. I keep them stored in a sealed glass dish in my fridge and I hope they will last me through the week. Please tag me @heidicooksplants when you make these and leave me a comment below.
Thanks so much and see you in the kitchen soon,
As an Amazon Affiliate, if you make a purchase with an enclosed link, I receive a small commission, which is at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support in allowing me to continue providing you with delicious recipes!